akira-explosion.jpg

Teletoon is showing AKIRA tonight and it’s just awesome. I mean… you sort of take it for granted that it’s as good as you remembered, but… Dude. AKIRA. DUN! DUN DUN! [bells chime]. DUN! DUN DUN DUN! [chimes].

I swear to you I am not chemically altered in any way, but I am enjoying the hell out of this film.

- Christopher

10 Comments on “Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, AKIRA”

1. Jeff says:

You really ought to get the soundtrack. It’s fantastic.

2. Lissa says:

When Teletoon first aired this version of the Akira movie, I was amazed watching it again. Like reliving the first time! It’d been years since I’d seen it and never in such high quality (my VHS version has thus been retired; loved for nostalgia but upstaged by a shiny DVD version). Happy to hear others are watching and enjoying as well!

3. Dan Coyle says:

When I was 14, imagining a nuke going off in Philadelphia and then giving rise to techno biker gangs- well, that was AWESOME.

4. Pedro Tejeda says:

I hate to be that guy, but since I read the manga after I saw the anime, and I can’t bear to sit through Akira at all. I actually get mad during Nausicaa.

5. Mike says:

TETSUO!!!!

Best part of playing Moral Decay…. people randomly screaming character names from Akira… memories..

Brother

6. jeremy says:

Chris,

Long time reader, first time poster (har har)

I was at the Japanese store Uniqlo in NYC this weekend on a trip, and lo and behold they are swamped with Taiyo Matsumoto t-shirts!

Hope you have some folks in NYC you can reach out to who can buy you some, they had Black and White and Ping Pong themed stuff. I grabbed a Ping Pong shirt, so awesome.

Also sorry if this is a repeat.

Jeremy

7. Chris says:

Jeff- Oh, I’ve got it sir. I put it on at work sometimes to freak out the normals.

Lissa- Maybe 7 or 8 years ago they re-released it with the THX sound and the digital restoration? It really is like a whole new movie, seeing the colours and the detail full-on. I remember a bunch of people being pissed that it made Kaneda’s motorcycle leathers look too pink, but how tough do you have to be to rock pink pants and fire a laser cannon, you know?

Dan- Oh, Dan.

Mike- Hoorah to shared experiences!

Jeremy- Thanks for the heads-up, but I actually grabbed one of each and every matsumoto shirt design I could find in my size last time I was in NYC. There’s one squarish Ping Pong design that was only available in women’s sizes, which pissed me off, but I got everything else…

8. Halliday says:

Was it the new dub or the old, awesome, Streamline dub? I fucking love that dub.

9. Dan Coyle says:

Halliday: I love the Streamline dub too, though I really shouldn’t. There’s something funny about Cam Clarke’s NASAL RAGE.

10. Halliday says:

I just like how they translated Kanada’s street tough attitude as sounding like he’s from Brooklyn. Especially the line reading where he’s all like,”He’s just a kiiiid.”